Many times in the field, we need a retriever that can mark and retrieve multiple birds in the field, and be able to take hand and whistle signals. The advanced stage of training takes approximately six to seven months (in addition to the basic Gundog program) and prepares your retriever to perform at a level which will make you the envy of all your hunting buddies. Below is a breakdown of what is involved in the advanced training program:
- Multiple Retrieves- Your retriever is taught how to watch and memorize the fall of multiple birds in the field, and retrieve them efficiently.
- Blind Retrieves- This is the core of the advanced training program. Your retriever is taught how to take hand and whistle signals so that you can direct him or her to the fall of a bird that he or she didn't see fall.
- Diversions- When your retriever is coming back from a retrieve during a hunt, sometimes we manage to shoot another bird down and we don't want them to switch birds. Your retriever is trained to finish the retrieve before going out for the diversion bird.
- Walk-ups- When jump-shooting a duck pond or walking a fence line for doves, we train your retriever to be steady to shot so that he or she doesn't scare the birds or break before being sent to retrieve.
- Honoring- Many of our hunting buddies have retrievers that they take with them to the field and it is important to teach our retriever that every bird that falls is not necessarily theirs to retrieve! Hence, we teach your retriever to 'honor' another dog's retrieve.
- The Advanced Program is designed to also prepare your retriever for the advanced levels of the hunt test programs- AKC (Senior and Master).